Learn how to create a cute Halloween cat banner using felt to decorate your home for the holiday! Grab the free SVG cut file or PDF pattern to create your own!
Hello Crafty Friends! This cute Halloween cat banner is a fun project to create for Halloween! I was inspired by the black cat treat bag I made my daughter a few years ago. This banner is perfect for decorating your home this Halloween season!
This Halloween banner is made from glitter felt, HTV (Heat Transfer Vinyl) and embroidery floss! The glitter felt is stiff and great for banners and for adding embroidery.
I used my Cricut Explore to cut the eyes, ears and nose from Iron-On. If you don’t have a cutting machine, no worries! You can use my printable PDF pattern to make the eyes, ears and nose from colored felt, fabric or cut HTV by hand. The shapes are simple enough to cut by hand.
DIY Black Cat Halloween Banner
- Free template – Grab the free file by filling out the purple form at the end of this post.
- Black Kunin Brand Glitter Felt. One 9″ x 10″ felt sheet will fit 3 cat faces
- Cricut Iron-On in Black, yellow, pink and white. This Sampler has pink and white.
- Silver Cricut Glitter Iron On for the ears
- DMC Pewter Light Effects Embroidery Floss
- Black and White Bakers Twine
- Hole punch
- Cutting machine
- Cutting Mat and Cutting machine tools
- White pencil
- Iron or Cricut EasyPress Mini
Step by Step Tutorial
Step One: Cut out the cat faces from glitter felt. Use the pattern to trace the cat face onto a piece of black glitter felt. I was able to fit three cat faces on one sheet. Cut them out.
Step Two: Add the eyes, ears, and nose with Iron-On. I used Cricut Iron-On in a few different colors to create the facial features of the cat. Use the free SVG cut file and cut all of the pieces, then weed.
If you are using the SVG cut file in Cricut Design Space here are a few instructions.
- Open the file in Cricut Design Space and change the size. I resized mine to 4.5″ tall.
- Change the eye color to white.
- Hide the large black cat face if you are going to cut that by hand. Or cut from paper to create a pattern.
- You are ready to cut the project!,
- If you want to keep the eyes and ears spaced as in the pattern, “Select All” then “Ungroup”. Select each color group individually and hit “Attach”. Now you are ready to cut!
Iron the pieces to each cat face. The eyes are layered starting with white, then yellow then finally black.
Step Three: Embroider the cat’s whiskers and mouth onto each cat face. Draw whiskers and a mouth on each cat with a white pencil. If you do not want to embroider the whiskers, you could use a silver Shapie or white pencil to draw them.
Use silver, sparkly embroidery floss to stitch the whiskers and mouth. I used a simple backstitch.
Step Four: String the cat faces into a banner! Use a hole punch to punch small holes on either side of the cat’s face under the ears. Use yarn, ribbon or black and white Baker’s twine to create the banner.
The banner is finished!! Yay! I made mine with three cat faces but you could make your banner longer if you’d like! You can check out some of my other Halloween craft projects under my “Halloween Crafts Page” and if you love black cats check out my Halloween Black Cat Treat Bag!
Get the Free Halloween Black Cat Banner File!
Fill out the purple form below with your first name and email address! The free file will be sent straight to your inbox! If you have already filled out the form below, don’t worry – you won’t be added to my list twice! This freebie is for personal use only. I hope you enjoy crafting something special. Please let me know if you have any questions :)