Create a cute black cat Halloween banner to decorate your home for the holiday! Grab the free SVG cut file or PDF pattern to create your own!
This cute black cat banner is a fun project to create for Halloween! I was inspired by a black cat treat bag I made my daughter a few years ago. This banner is perfect for decorating your home, a party or even your zoom background this Halloween season!
The banner is made from glitter felt, Iron-On and embroidery floss! The glitter felt is stiff and great for banners and for adding embroidery.
I used my Cricut Explore to cut the eyes, ears and nose from Iron-On. If you don’t have a cutting machine, no worries! You can use the printable PDF pattern to make the eyes, ears and nose from colored felt, fabric or cut Iron-On by hand. The shapes are simple enough to cut by hand.
Below is the tutorial for creating your own black cat banner! Both the SVG cut file and printable PDF pattern are available as a freebie you can download below. If you make this banner, I’d love to see! Send me a picture or tag me on social media @craftingcheerfully :)
DIY Black Cat Halloween Banner
- Free template – Link located at the end of this post.
- 1 sheet of black Kunin Glitter Felt. One 9″ x 10″ sheet fits 3 cat faces
- Cricut Iron-On in Black, yellow, pink and white. This Sampler has pink and white.
- Silver Cricut Glitter Iron On
- DMC Pewter Light Effects Embroidery Floss
- Black and White Bakers Twine
- Hole punch
- Cutting machine
- Cutting Mat and Cutting machine tools
- White pencil
- Iron or Cricut EasyPress Mini
Step by Step Tutorial
Step One: Cut out the cat faces from glitter felt.
Use the pattern to trace the cat face onto a piece of black glitter felt. I was able to fit three cat faces on one sheet. Cut them out.
Step Two: Add the eyes, ears, and nose with Iron-On.
I used Cricut Iron-On in a few different colors to create the facial features of the cat. Use the free SVG cut file and cut all of the pieces, then weed.
If you are using the SVG cut file in Cricut Design Space here are a few instructions.
- Open the file in Cricut Design Space and change the size. I resized mine to 4.5″ tall.
- Change the eye color to white.
- Hide the large black cat face if you are going to cut that by hand. Or cut from paper to create a pattern.
- You are ready to cut the project!,
- If you want to keep the eyes and ears spaced as I did, “Select All” then “Ungroup”. Select each color group individually and hit “Attach”. Now you are ready to cut!
Iron the pieces to each cat face. The eyes are layered starting with white, then yellow then finally black.
Step Three: Embroider the cat’s whiskers and mouth onto each cat face.
Draw whiskers and a mouth on each cat with a white pencil.
Use silver, sparkly embroidery floss to stitch the whiskers and mouth. I used a simple backstitch.
Step Four: String the cat faces into a banner!
Use a hole punch to punch small holes on either side of the cat’s face under the ears. Use yarn, ribbon or black and white Baker’s twine to create the banner.
The banner is finished!! Yay! I made mine with three cat faces but you could make your banner longer if you’d like! You can check out some of my other Halloween craft projects under my “Halloween Crafts Page” and if you love black cats check out my Halloween Black Cat Treat Bag!
Download the Free File! This freebie is in my Resource Library under Halloween or Sewing, Banners. Enter your first name and email to get the password to download this file. You’ll also have a chance to sign up for my newsletter to receive fun craft tutorials, tips, updates and more FREE files to help make crafting something special and unique easier!