Good morning and Happy New Year! As my husband says, the Christmas season may be over, but Football Playoff Season has just begun. The first weekend of playoffs is in the books, but with two more to go and the Super Bowl around the corner, this is a perfect time to make this fun, sports-themed, pillow wreath.
This past Christmas I shared with you the Holiday Pillow Wreath my mother taught me to make. We have often talked about making a pillow wreath for different holidays – they can be so versatile depending on the fabric you choose! I recently made the pillow wreath NFL-themed using some fun green and gold fabrics. This would make a great wreath for any sports fan – it can be customized to any sport and any team! Below is the tutorial to make your own and be sure to check out my DIY Pillow Wreath round up.
Supplies Needed For DIY Sports Team Pillow Wreath:
- Wire wreath form. I used a 12″ diameter wreath
- 5 different fabrics for the pillows – 1/4 yard of each is plenty. (For this wreath I chose to add a 6th fabric since I was making so many wreaths at once and didn’t have enough fabric of the other five. I normally just use five fabrics.)
- 3/8″ ribbon in a coordinating color. (You need a little more than one roll, so buy 2!)
- Poly-fil stuffing
- Matching thread
- Free template – Link located at the end of this post
* I was making four of the same wreath at one time. I bought six different fabrics – 1/4″ of the striped and polka dot fabric, 1/4″ yard of the football fabric, and then 1/2″ yard of the team logo fabric and of the solid green and gold fabrics. This made three wreaths with 30 pillows and one wreath with 25 pillows! Normally if I am making one wreath, 1/4″ of each fabric is more than enough.
1. Create a cardboard pattern to use for cutting out all of your pillows our download the free template from my Resource Library. The pattern should measure 4.5″ x 5.5″.
2. Cut out the fabric pillows. The pattern is for the entire pillow (it gets folded in half) and includes a 1/4″ seam allowance.
When cutting the pillows with the team logo on it, I placed the template so the logo would be centered on each pillow. This meant I had some wasted fabric, but it looked really nice having the logo centered!
For the 12″ diameter wreath you will need between 30-35 pillows, depending on how full you want your wreath to look. Normally I would use five fabrics and 6 or 7 pillows of each fabric, making for a 35 pillow wreath. For these wreaths, since I was making 4 wreaths at the same time, I just made as many pillows as I could with the fabric I bought and then divided them up among the 4 wreaths. I ended up using 30 pillows for three of the circular wreaths and 25 for a heart shaped wreath.
3. Sew fabric pillows together. For each pillow, fold the fabric in half, right sides together, 4.5″ side to 4.5″ side. Sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance each side/corner of the pillow, leaving an opening to stuff the pillow.
Trim the corners.
Flip the pillow right side out. Make sure to poke out the corners!
4. Stuff each pillow and hand sew the opening close. Don’t overstuff the pillows making them too hard, this will make it harder to tie them with ribbon.
5. Tie the pillows onto the wreath using the 3/8″ ribbon. Each piece of ribbon can be about 8″ long. Start on the outer ring and work your way in. For this wreath the outer ring has 14 pillows, the middle has 9 pillows, and the inner ring has 7 pillows. You can decide how full you want your wreath to look and always do less. This Christmas wreath was made with 35 pillows; 14 for the outer ring, 12 for the middle ring, and 9 for the inner ring.
6. Add a little ribbon loop to the back so it can be hung up! And you are all done!
I decided to make a heart-shaped wreath after seeing a heart wreath form at Joann Fabrics. It goes well with the theme of “for love of the game” and I hadn’t ever tried it before! It took slightly less pillows, using 25, but I think if I had more pillows left I could have used a few more. The process for tying them on is exactly the same, except there are just two rows!
So here are my four finished wreaths ready to be delivered to their new owners! I made one for our house as well and I think it may become a permanent fixture on our door…unless I make a baseball themed one! Then they can rotate!
For those of you watching the playoffs, have fun!!
Download the Free File! This freebie is in my Resource Library under Sewing, Pillow Wreaths. Enter your first name and email to get the password to download this file. You’ll also have a chance to sign up for my newsletter to receive fun craft tutorials, tips, updates and more FREE files to help make crafting something special and unique easier!