Solve these fun school-themed riddles with my school time decoder wheel! A fun printable activity for back-to-school and classroom fun!
Hello Crafty Friends! With the start of a new school year right around the corner, I wanted to share a brand new decoder wheel printable activity. This school themed decoder wheel is perfect for back-to-school. It is also a great classroom activity any time of year!
Kids use the secret decoder wheel, or cipher wheel, to solve school-themed riddles. Each riddle includes a key to tell kids how to set their decoder wheel before solving. For example, the key may say “A is for Apple. The kids would set their wheel so the A and the apple are lined up, then solve the puzzle.
I love creating decoder wheels and this new school-themed decoder wheel joins my collection of Secret Decoder Wheel activities. This new wheel features hand-drawn doodles of your favorite school supplies and school-themed items including a ruler, globe, laptop, crayons and more!
Decoder wheels are a simple activity to prepare. Simply print the activity and assemble the decoder wheel using a brad. I love creating decoder wheels for holidays and different seasons.
Check out my other printable decoder wheels!
How to Make a Winter Decoder Wheel
- School Time Decoder Wheel Printables
- Grab a sample for free by filling out the purple form at the end of this post.
- Complete School-Themed Decoder Wheel set and editable file is in my Etsy Shop
- White cardstock for decoder wheel
- Push pin
- Brad – I find the mini brads work a little better, but any brad will work
- Paper trimmer – handy for cutting out riddles
How to Assemble the Decoder Wheel
The decoder wheel is easy to create. Simply print the decoder wheel on white cardstock and carefully cut out both circles with a scissors. Layer the circles together, with the smaller one on top, and poke a hole in the center of both using a push pin. Attach the layers together with a brad in the center. The wheel should rotate easily.
How to Use a Decoder Wheel
For each riddle the “KEY” will tell you how to set the wheel. For example if the riddle’s KEY is “A is for APPLE”. Spin the wheel until the apple lines up with the letter “A” and then you are ready to solve!
Make sure to check the key for each riddle as each one is different. For younger kids, it may be helpful to cut apart the riddles to help them remember to change their wheel to a new key.
Where to Download the Files
- My School Time Decoder wheel printables are available to download from my Etsy shop and include 20 riddles plus an editable PowerPoint file (you need Microsoft PowerPoint to use the editable file).
- You can also download two free riddles and the decoder wheel by filling out the purple form at the end of this blog post.
More Fun Decoder Wheels
Get the Free School Time Decoder Wheel Sample!
Fill out the purple form below with your first name and email address! The free file will be sent straight to your inbox! If you have already filled out the form below, don’t worry – you won’t be added to my list twice! This freebie is for personal use only. I hope you enjoy crafting something special. Please let me know if you have any questions :)