Today I wanted to share with you the curtains I made for our nursery. It is a fairly straight-forward DIY project and I love how custom and affordable they are! I found the cutest baby sheets from Pottery Barn Kids. I loved the sheets so much, I decided they would make adorable curtains as well so I bought an extra set of a crib sheets. I had already bought coordinating fabric to make a matching crib skirt. I used the leftover fabric from this project, along with an extra crib sheet, to make two valances!
- Crib sheet (I used just one but depending on your window size you may need two!)
- Coordinating fabric for thin middle stripe
- Coordinating fabric for bottom section
- Lining fabric
STEP 1: Calculations! The first thing you will need to do is the hardest part – calculating the dimensions for your curtains. I made a diagram and figured out all the measurements for each piece of fabric. I only bought one extra crib sheet for this project so the width of my curtains was determined by how much fabric I could get out of the crib sheet. In a perfect world I would have made my curtains so they were 1.5 to 2 times the width of my window – it just depends on how full you want your curtains.
Here is the diagram and the dimensions I used for my curtains. I have only included measurements for the height of the curtains. The finished height is 17″, which is a standard length. I used a 1/2″ seam allowance for everything. The width can be whatever you want it to be, but as stated above, a good rule of thumb is make them 1.5 to 2 times as wide. Make sure to take into account many rods will have the curtains wrap around the window which adds about 2″-3″ to each side. I did not take this into account and one of my valances is less full because of it.
STEP 2: Cutting! Once you have all of your calculations figured out, you can go ahead and cut all of your fabrics. The dimensions above include a header, the part of the curtain that is above the rod pocket. In the nursery I tucked the header down, deciding I didn’t want it out. In other rooms of my house I have kept the header up, so my instructions include this header so you can decide!
CUT DIMENSIONS: Includes 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Section 1: The crib sheet. Cut 13″ x width.
- Section 2: Thin stripe. Cut 2.5″ x width.
- Section 3: Bottom fabric. Cut 8″ x width. This section wraps around to the back.
- Section 4: Lining. Cut 14.5″ x width.
STEP 3: Sewing! Sewing them is fairly easy as it is all straight lines! I stitched section 1 to section 2 and then section 2 to section 3 using a 1/2″ seam allowance. I then stitched section 3 to section 4, the lining. You will now have one giant rectangle with the crib sheet fabric on the top and the lining fabric on the bottom.
The next step is to take the bottom of the lining fabric and bring it up to the top of the crib sheet fabric. So take section 4 up to section 1 with right sides together. Stitch at 1/2″ and you will now have a tube. Flip your tube inside out and press. If your measurement and calculations were correct, section 3 will wrap around the bottom of your tube to the back side.
STEP 4: Prepare to finish off the sides! You now have a tube with two open ends. To finish these ends off, I simply turned the sides 3/4″ in towards the inside of the tube and pressed. Continue to step 5 before sewing the ends closed.
STEP 5: Create the rod pocket. The final step is to create a pocket for the curtain rod. Top stitch two sewing lines through all layers of your tube. The first row should be 2″ from the top and the second row should be 5″ from the top. Your rod pocket is then 3″ wide, which is perfect for a standard valance rod. Once you have sewn the rod pocket, you can close up the sides of your curtain. Top stitch 1/4″ in from the edge, stopping to leave the rod pocket open. Do not close up the rod pocket. You are all finished!
Adding these valances to the nursery really finished it off! I love how the curtains match the sheets and tie the room together. I think adding the coordinating fabrics to the crib sheet help to keep the curtains from being over the top matchy-matchy. I later made blackout curtains from some blue corduroy I had on hand to help block out the light in the nursery.
You can see in the pictures I chose to tuck my header (the top 2″ of the valances) down. I go back and forth on whether I like it or not. You will also notice the curtains on my larger window are fuller than the smaller window. I did not want to purchase another crib sheet so I tried to make one work and was limited in how wide I could make my curtains. I don’t mind either look, but I do wish they were a little more consistent with each other! Overall, I love the curtains and am very happy with the outcome!